Monday, July 21, 2008

Tangled Up in Dylan: Introduction


I have just finished reading Bob Dylan and Philosophy, edited by Peter Vernezze and Carl J. Porter, an installment in Open Court's "Popular Culture and Philosophy" series. Having read several volumes in this series, I found this one to be more engaging than the others. It seems to be truer to philosophical issues and to the subject (Dylan, in this case) than the other volumes I have read. Reading it has plunged me into the world of Dylan's music once again. I have gone through several "Dylan-phases" in my life, preferring earlier works, later works, acoustic works, electric works, at various points in the journey. Now I find myself enthralled by it all: the songs I resonate with, the songs I don't, and the ones I don't get (and there are plenty of them).

In the following several posts, I am going to paste some Dylan lyrics, and offer no commentary in the post. But what I would like to do is open the comments for a discussion on what is going on in the lyrics. Also, in the comments, if there are specific Dylan works you want to explore, suggest them and it will be done.

No comments: